Writer Cody Ziglar on Spider-Man, What If: Miles Morales, and Beyond Board
Amazing Spider-Man writer Cody Ziglar joins us to talk comics! We dig into his two-part arc in Amazing Spider-Man out this week, discuss the upcoming What If: Miles Morales series, and how the Beyond Board writing team works together.
Visit our Patreon page to see the various tiers you can sign up for today to get in on the ground floor of AIPT Patreon. We hope to see you chatting with us in our Discord soon!
- A New Publishing Platform for Comic Books Will Give Creators a Greater Stake
- Marvel teases ‘Destiny of X’ era of the X-Men
- And 3 more on Friday!
- Newsarama reports Luke Cage may not be 100% canceled
- Dark Horse signals final ‘Norse Mythology III’ chapter coming February 2022
- Vault Comics announces ‘Heathen’ Vault Reserve reprint for 2022
- Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nguyen announce ‘Little Monsters’ for March 2022
Standout KAPOW moment of the week:
Nathan - The Me You Love in the Dark #5 (Skottie Young, Jorge Corona)
Dave - Amazing Spider-Man #80 (Cody Ziglar, Michael Dowling)
Our Top Books of the Week
- Gotham City Villains Anniversary Giant (2021) #1 (Various)
- SIR EDWARD GREY: ACHERON ONE-SHOT (Mignola, Dave Stewart)
- The Death of Doctor Strange: Spider-Man #1 (Jed MacKay, Marcelo Ferreira)
- Amazing Spider-Man #80 (Cody Ziglar, Michael Dowling)
TOP BOOKS FOR NEXT WEEK
- Dave: Hellions #18 (Zeb Wells, Ze Carlos)
- Nathan: One-Star Squadron #1 (Mark Russell, Steve Lieber)
JUDGING BY THE COVER JR.
Segment: Interview with Cody Ziglar!
- Cody, what a year of comics and announcements, thank you for being on the AIPT Comics podcast! You’re part of the “Beyond Board” writing crew on ASM, can you walk us through how (and when) you were asked to join the team?
- You’re no stranger to writers rooms with your work at Robot Chicken and Rick and Morty season 7, how does writing for comics in a writers room compare to being on the Beyond Board?
- What do you think the secret is for Ben dialogue vs. Peter dialogue vs. Miles dialogue? How do they each quip?
- ASM 79 and 80 have some insane hallucination sequences. What do these look like in the script - was there any moment where the final page went above and beyond what you expected?
- Michael Dowling has crushed on ASM, is there a page that came back that blew you away?
- The upcoming What If imagines Miles in a number of different major hero roles. What is it about Miles’ character that makes him work in all of these different settings?
- You’re also a gamer, right? I’m assuming you’ve put some hours into Insomniac’s Spider-Man games?
- Favorite What If story?
- What comics are you reading right now?
OFF-TOPIC TOP SHELF: Guitar and making a punk EP