Worldbuilding at Heavy Metal and beyond with CEO Matt Medney
CEO of Heavy Metal Magazine Matt Medney joins the show to discuss what Heavy Metal is up to as well as his numerous sci-fi novels and comics coming out soon. We discuss the role of CEO of the publisher and more!
Visit our Patreon page to see the various tiers you can sign up for today to get in on the ground floor of AIPT Patreon. We hope to see you chatting with us in our Discord soon!
- SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE director Richard Donner dies at 91
- DC Comics announces SDCC Comic-Con@Home 2021 schedule
- Something is Killing the Children getting TV adaptation
- ‘Faust’: Animated Series Based On Comic In Works At Sony Pictures Television From Matteo Pizzolo
- Marvel announces 'Death of Doctor Strange' getting spin-offs
- Batman The Long Halloween Special coming this October
- DC to launch new Human Target title by Tom King and Greg Smallwood
- AHOY Comics announces Lunar distribution deal
Segment: Heroes Don't Do That - Do they though? Do heroes listen to the Beastie Boys?
Our Top Books of the Week
- Mamo #1 (Sas Milledge)
- Immortal Hulk #48 (W: Al Ewing, A: Joe Bennett)
- The Swamp Thing #5 (Ram V, John McCrea)
- Justice League Infinity #1 (J.M. DeMatteis, James Tucker, Ethen Beavers)
Standout KAPOW moment of the week:
Nathan - Batman: The Adventures Continue - Season Two #2 (Paul Dini, Alan Burnett, Ty Templeton)
Dave - X-Men #1 (Gerry Duggan, Pepe Larraz, Marte Gracia)
TOP BOOKS FOR NEXT WEEK
- Dave: The Silver Coin #4 (Jeff Lemire, Michael Walsh)
- Nathan: The Silver Coin #4
JUDGING BY THE COVER JR.
Segment: Interview: Matt Medney interview CEO of Heavy Metal and writer too!
- Matt Medney, thank you for joining us on the AIPT Comics podcast [pause for hello], I wanted to start by asking about your original plan for Heavy Metal when you became CEO in January 2020 and how the pandemic affected that plan?
- Let’s jump back in time a bit: What was your entry point to Heavy Metal as a fan of the format?
- For listeners who don’t know, what is your day to day like as CEO?
- I’ve always been curious about Heavy Metal and how it’s curated since it collects comics, but interviews and other types of content too. What is the process like to put together the magazine?
- Dan Fogler was on the show a few weeks ago and he let us know his Brooklyn Gladiator series is set to shoot as a film, can you talk about that project or any other Heavy Metal Projects destined for film or TV?
- Switching gears to your upcoming works, you have Dark Wing: Unstable Elements on the way collecting the five-issue series. What do you hope readers will take away from the series now that it can be read in one sitting?
- I read that the concept for Dark Wing came to you when you were producing a rock concert. What was that “aha” moment like?
- What does a script for this series look like? There are so many moving parts and bits of future gadgetry in every panel - what is the collaboration process like with German Ponce?
- You’re a busy guy with Beyond Kuiper: The Galactic Edition coming out July 27th, which you co-wrote with John Connelly. This new edition has planetary guides and some gorgeous art too, what goes into expanding on a book with visual materials like this and how long has it been in the making?
- Coming out August 11, you have The Adventures of Adrienne James, which you co-wrote with Bruce Edwards, what’s your elevator pitch for this one?
- Getting a chance to read the first issue, it’s a bit of a break out, how do you approach making a break out feel new when we’ve seen it so often in other media?
- What comics are you reading right now?
Off Topic Top Shelf: Matt Medney - bike riding - coffee geek grind coffee (crescent city brew) Existence Equation