Special guest writer James Tynion IV talks new BOOM! Studios horror series Something is Killing the Children, plus Marvel solicits and more
This week we have special guest comic book writer James Tynion IV and BOOM! Studios editor Eric Harburn on to talk about horror comic Something is Killing the Children out September 4th. We also talk about the latest news and go over our picks of the week!
- 2099 is back baby!
- CAPTAIN MARVEL Out to 'Kill the Avengers' in New Dark Arc
- G. WILLOW WILSON Exiting WONDER WOMAN for 'Bucket-List-Dream Project'
- STEVE DITKO Play Coming to NEW YORK for NYCC Tie-In Dates
- 2019 Ringo Awards nominations are announced
- Once and future gets 5th printing
- Batman #77 features a major death
TOP BOOKS OF LAST WEEK:
- Absolute Carnage vs. Deadpool #1 (W: Frank Tieri, A: Marcelo Ferreira
- Deadpool Annual #1 (W: Dana Schwartz, A: Reilly Brown)
- Powers of X #3 (W: Jonathan Hickman, A: R.B. Silva)
- Superior Spider-Man #10 (W: Christos Gage, A: Mike Hawthorne)
Critic: Middlewest #10 (9.5)
Fan: Powers of X #3 (9.4)
TOP BOOKS FOR NEXT WEEK:
Dave: Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass (W: Mariko Tamaki, A: Steve Pugh)
Forrest: Spider-Man: Life Story #6 (W: Chip Zdarsky, A: Mark Bagley)
JUDGING BY THE COVER JR.:
Dave: Absolute Carnage #2 #1 (Marcos Martin)
Forrest: Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Chosen Ones #1 (Evan Cagle)
SEGMENT: Interview James Tynion IV & Eric Harburn - Something is Killing the Children #1 (Out September 4th)
- Something is Killing the Children might be my favorite horror-anything title ever. At what stage did the title get thought up?
- James, I know you’ve said previously this story has been percolating in your head for awhile, once Werther Dell'Edera came on as artist how long did it take to hash out the style, the characters designs, stuff like that?
- What are your biggest horror influences?
- The color palette is gorgeous in this book, there are these blacks and blues in the night time scenes, then bright bright whites in the day scenes. Can you talk a little about that choice and what you were going for?
- Something that was so striking to me was the use of gore in the book. Is there a science to how much and when it drops in the story?
- Erica Slaughter is an instantly likable character even though she’s a bit weird in her own way. Also, I totally see folks cosplaying as her soon. I almost think her favorite book growing up would be Where the Wild Things Are, but she was reading it in a different way. Can you talk a bit about this character?
- Do you remember the moment you fell in love with comics?
- What has been your proudest moment in comics?
- Seeing as this is an idea that has been living in your head for awhile, are there any more (how many) horror stories that you are tinkering with?
**Segment: Superfight: **Krampus vs. Jigsaw - worst roommate
Off Topic Top Shelf: James Tynion - New wave of horror films