Ryan Parrott on writing Power Rangers origins and pairing real-life to epic fantasy
Special guest Ryan Parrott joins the show to discuss the revelations discovered in Mighty Morphin #10. We dig into how he's built everything up to this, writing a classic villain, the future of Power Rangers, how great Dan Mora's art is, and play Superfight: Darth Vader versus Lord Zed!
Visit our Patreon page to see the various tiers you can sign up for today to get in on the ground floor of AIPT Patreon. We hope to see you chatting with us in our Discord soon!
- James Tynion IV signals end to superhero work starting November 2021
- Jonathan Hickman outlines Substack plans for ‘Three Worlds Three Moons’
- Chip Zdarsky on the freedoms of Substack and his future in comics
- Wizard World closes its convention business, selling all cons off to Fan Expo
- Image reveals ‘King Spawn’ #1 sells record-setting 497K in pre-orders
- DC Comics solicits are here
- Marvel Comics adds Wasp and Black Bolt one-shots to ‘Darkhold’ lineup
- Tini Howard no longer Marvel exclusive, to DC soon
Our Top Books of the Week
- Mamo #2 (Sas Milledge)
- Mighty Morphin (2020) #10 (Ryan Parrott, Dan Mora)
- Batman ‘89 #1 (Sam Hamm, Joe Quinones)
- The Silver Coin #5 (Michael Walsh, Gavin Fullerton, Toni Marie Griffin)
Standout KAPOW moment of the week:
Nathan - Mighty Morphin #10 (Ryan Parrott, Dan Mora)
Dave - Pennyworth #1 (Scott Bryan Wilson, Juan Gedeon)
TOP BOOKS FOR NEXT WEEK
- Dave: Eat The Rich #1 (Sarah Gailey, Pius Bak)
- Nathan: Superman and the Authority #2 (Grant Morrison, Mikel Janin)
JUDGING BY THE COVER JR.
Segment: Interview: Ryan Parrott
- Ryan, thank you for being on the AIPT Comics podcast. When you were last on this show way back in November we spoke a little bit about the worldbuilding you’re doing, and it appears this week’s Mighty Morphin #10 pays off in that regard in a big way!
- Given how much has come before and where we are now, how far out have you plotted the Power Rangers universe?
- This issue finally revealed the secret origin of Lord Zedd. How exciting/nerve-wracking was it to be able to tell that story at long last?
- What has the fan response been like Mighty Morphin #10? - he’s covered this I think!
- This series has been full of cosmic visuals, and the latest issue has kicked that up a notch. Has there been a particular sequence where Dan Mora just blew you away and surprised you with how he brought it to life?
- You’re playing with Power Rangers history that goes back thousands of years, is there any desire to go into the future and play in that realm?
- This book uses flashbacks, flashfowards, might it start using flashsideways, is it fun to play with people’s perceptions and sort of build change how we think about these established characters?
- Can you tease anything coming up with the Eltarian War arc? - kinda covering this too
- If you were to rank Power Rangers villains as favorite, and favorite to write, what would your list be?
- The Power Rangers X figures are crazy cool...does seeing these sprout from the comic make your imagination go wild for other mashups?
- Substack has taken over the comics news airwaves, what are your thoughts on the platform?
- What comics are you reading right now?
Superfight: Darth Vader vs. Lord Zed - Who is most successful?