Guest Dennis Hopeless digs into X-O Manowar's return
This week, special guest Dennis Hopeless joins the show to talk about his Valiant series X-O Manowar. Issue #1 came out way back in March and the series is back November 25th after a delay due to the pandemic. We get into the character, his work with editor Heather Antos over the years to develop the series, and even go over all the powers of the character and whether we'll see them soon.
- HBO Max is giving us Green Lantern!
Our Top Books of the Week
- American Vampire 1976 #1 (W: Scott Snyder, A: Rafael Albuquerque)
- Marauders #13 (W: Vita Ayala, A: Matteo Lolli)
- Cyberpunk 2077: Trauma Team #2 (W: Bunn, A: Miguel Valderrama)
- The Rise of Ultraman #2 (W: Kyle Higgins, Matt Groom, A: Francesco Manna)
TOP BOOKS FOR NEXT WEEK
- Dave: Commanders in Crisis #1 (W: Steve Orlando, A: David Tinto)
- Forrest: Warhammer 40k: Marneus Calgar #1 (W: Gillen, A: Jacen Burrows)
JUDGING BY THE COVER JR.
- Dave: Captain America #24 (Alex Ross)
- Forrest: Hellions #5 (Pichelli)
Segment: X-O Manowar interview: Dennis Hopeless - issue #2 drops X arrives on November 25, 2020. Issue #1 was out on March 25th.
- First and foremost, how are you holding up during the pandemic?
- Can you tell us a little bit about your history with X-O Manowar? What previous arc or creator’s run is your favorite? Have you had a pitch in mind for the property for a while or did it all fall together when you got in touch with Valiant?
- Manowar has a storied history with various origins, backgrounds, reboots, etc. but it’s also been going long that it seems like reverence for the book and character’s history is important. How do you approach reconciling the two?
- How does working with Valiant differ from working with other publishers like Marvel? Do you notice your creative process change much?
- We’re going to leave this one a little open to interpretation, but what do you think is the one thing every X-O Manowar run must do?
- The pandemic was unprecedented for a variety of reasons we won’t get into, but it also delayed your book. Did the delay affect X-O Manowar in any way or the process of development? Is it a little weird to have such a large gap between issue releases?
- You’ve done a great job with the banter between Aric and the suit, can you talk a little bit about how you make it so natural and alive?
- Having a look at issue #2, it appears we’re going a bit off the normal path for superheroes and how they resolve issues. Can you talk a little bit about how your approach to X-0 Manowar is different than the usual solo-superhero?
- Going off the X-O Manowar Wikipedia page, can we go through checklist style to see what powers we might see in your first arc?
- Assuming Bloodshot, one of the only movies this year eligible for an Academy Award, spins into a cinematic universe, who would you cast to play Manowar?
- Since you’re appearing on the @NY_Comic_Con's Metaverse Valiant Voice panel on Sunday, and this show goes up Sunday...is there anything you want to talk about that may be revealed as this show goes live?
Off Topic Top Shelf - British Bakeoff, Breaking Bad rewatch